This impressive exhibition is host to an award winning programme of special exhibitions having recently won the Best Exhibition Award at the Nottinghamshire Heritage Awards 2014.
No. 4 Bow Street served as the magistrates’ court from 1739 and the Bow Street Runners (the earliest professional police force) were founded there by Henry Fielding in the 1740s. When the Metropolitan Police Service was established in 1829, a station house was sited at numbers 25 and 27. The Bow Street Magistrates’ Court closed its doors for the last time on 14 July 2006. Bow Street was seen as the most famous London Magistrates Court and committal proceedings for a number of infamous criminal cases such as Dr Crippen, the Krays as well as famous cases such as Oscar Wilde and Emmeline Pankhurst took place there. The original dock from this famous Court has been acquired on loan by the Galleries of Justice Museum. The Bow Street dock is now on display as part of a programme of exhibitions focussing on the various trials that took place at the court.
This exhibition is open 7 days a week, free of charge.